Monday, September 8, 2014

the new monsters

Landon Matheny

Vampires and Zombies

Today's movies portray sexy vampires and ridiculously disgusting zombies. I feel like that is what the viewers have come to expect. Thanks to an unnamed book saga and movie franchise with vampires, werewolves, and Kristen Stewart, the once monstrous is now acceptable. As for zombies, we can thank "graphic novels" and AMC.

The Walking Dead comics were actually really interesting in my opinion. I was never into the TV show because I guess I am just different. However, the books i liked. I think that the zombie craze has worn itself out and will soon be forgotten. throughout the course of the zombie uprising, there have been many incarnations of the zombie. My personal favorite was the one in the film Warm Bodies. The main character, R, is lovable, likable, and personable. The viewer can understand his mind. He wants to feel, he wants to live, and he wants to not be a zombie. These new zombies with entrails flowing out of their mouths, that are double fisting intestines until they are less hungry for flesh, are great. However, in my opinion, what viewers want is a personality.

I feel like tho opposite goes for the new vampire. The new vampire is mysterious, ominous, and of course, good looking. They have no personality because they aren't really a real person. However, girls will lift their shirts to any guy like that. The vampires today are lifeless, emotionless, cold, broken, basket cases that everyone loves because of their lack of knowledge about them. They are mysterious. Therefore, they are sex symbols.

I can learn to live with the new monsters. However, I'm sure that eventually they will be replaced with yet another breed of monstrosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment