Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Reaction to Zone One reading

I find it interesting that this novel is creating a society around the zombie apocalypse. In every other zombie novel, tv show, or movie it seems like what's left of society is just simply trying to survive, kill and hunt. Zone one is different, survivor camps and reconstruction efforts make it seem sort of like functional life. I like how average the main character is. I can't really seem to dislike him or root for him, which makes the other characters around him seem more interesting, and puts focus on the dismay of civilization around him. The characters are relatable to me, unlike in most zombie apocalypse stories. I would never be as brave as Rick Grimes, you know? But I could definitely survive under Mark Spitz' conditions and mindset. Also, the zombies are unusual. It's refreshing to get away from the typical horde setting and I like the idea of zombies lingering stagnant in places that are connected to their pasts. I feel a little sympathy for them. The way the "government" and corporate sponsors survived the apocalypse gives the novel a hopelessness that makes me want to keep reading to find out how they all pull this off.

No comments:

Post a Comment